Back

Kościół MB Królowej Polski Arka Pana Kraków

Church of the Lord’s Ark, Parish Church of Our Lady the Queen of Poland, Krakow

Church of the Lord’s Ark, Parish Church of Our Lady the Queen of Poland, Krakow
ul. Obrońców Krzyża 1, 31-831 Kraków Tourist subregion: Krakowski
tel. +48 126440624
http://arkapana.pl
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Religious sites
The first church to be erected in the Nowa Huta district is located in the part known as Bieńczyce. The history of this parish dates back to 1952. From the beginning Karol Wojtyła assisted the local parish priest with ministerial services and actively supported the Nowa Huta residents’ fight for their own church. The communist authorities did not want a church to be built in the model socialist town of Nowa Huta. In 1960 the authorities ordered the removal of the cross placed on the construction site at the Teatralne Housing Estate. The worshippers stood up in its defence, which led to riots. Eventually, the years of struggle resulted in success and Cardinal Wojtyła himself could consecrate the Church of the Lord’s Ark in 1977. The church amazes with its architecture, as well as numerous valuable items – gifts from Catholics from all over Europe. It also functions as Our Lady of Fatima Sanctuary. The statue of John Paul II is located on the stairs leading to the main entrance.
Play Play