Willa Stara Kancelaria Szczawnica
Stara Kancelaria Villa, Szczawnica
When it turned out that the waters in Szczawnica have some medicinal properties, the locals quickly saw new infrastructure being built. The resort owes its dynamic development to Szalay, who came to Szczawnica in 1839, saw its potential and took care of the town for the next 40 years. He was responsible for building the first baths, as well as erecting the first spa buildings, including a villa. The villa, located in the western frontage of Dietla Square, was built in the Alpine style. It is a wooden single-storey building, with the front wall adorned with a porch supported by pillars, and arcades with carved details. It used to serve as the manager's apartment and the office of the Upper Resort. In the 1930s, the building was used by Dr. Wilhelm Kropaczek to see his patients, and the basement was used to store bottled water. From 1948, the house was used by employees. From 1985 to 1990, the ground floor of the building housed a contemporary art gallery. Today it houses a restaurant.