Sanktuarium Matki Bożej Zwycięskiej Odporyszów
Sanctuary of Our Lady — Odporyszów
The 17th-century brick church in Odporyszów has been a destination for pilgrims for many years. The miraculous image of the Mother of God in the main altar was made famous by the faithful who came here in moments of illness and doubt. The Baroque single-nave church features a short chancel closed with a straight wall. The richly decorated main altar was erected where – according to tradition – the first apparition of the Virgin Mary took place in 1572 during an attack by Cossacks and Tatars. The second apparition took place in 1654, followed by another one in 1657 during the Swedish Deluge. The faithful believed that the water from the spring next to the temple had the power to heal the wounded and sick. Since then, the image of the Madonna has been attracting pilgrims to the area. In 1702, a new church was built, along with the Chapel of the Seven Sorrows of Mary, the Stations of the Cross, and the Chapel of the Holy Spirit. In the 17th century, silver dresses were installed on the miraculous image, which was crowned in 1937. Today, the most important holidays celebrated in Odporyszów are indulgences, which fall on Pentecost, celebrated on the 50th day after Easter Sunday, as well as a week-long indulgence that starts on the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 8 September.