Galeria Sztuki Polskiej XIX wieku w Sukiennicach Kraków
Gallery of 19th-Century Polish Art in Kraków Sukiennice
One of the largest Polish permanent exhibitions of the 19th century Polish painting and sculpture.
In 1879, Sukiennice were selected as the seat of the newly-established National Museum, whose collection was initiated by Polish painter, Henryk Siemiradzki, who offered his painting “Nero’s Torches” to the new Museum. The Gallery includes the paintings by, inter alia, Piotr Michałowski, Jan Matejko, Jacek Malczewski, Leon Wyczółkowiski, Józef Chełmoński, Artur Grottger. After a complete renovation and modernisation, the Gallery of 19th Century Polish Art in Sukiennice was reopened in 2010. On one hand, the Gallery clearly refers to the 19th-century appearance, on the other hand, it is already the museum of the 21st century. In a historic building, the rooms enabling the interactive reception of works of art and multidimensional education have been prepared.